More precious than gold.
While working with the Delmar Mundt family on their history, I ran across information that I had forgotten about - that Delmar's sister married an Enenbach.
So I e-mailed one of Delmar's daughters to see if they had e-mail contact with the Enenbach family and fortunately they did.
A few days later a daughter of Bill Enenbach e-mailed me. She told me she had pictures and information about various family members and most importantly military pictures. She graciously agreed to mail me the history she has. Since she has quite a bit of information and many pictures, we worked it out where she'll mail her things in several different shipments over the next several weeks.

I have quite a few extra steps to safely send and return pictures and information which has worked well over the last 20 years.

When I opened the first box of pictures, I was completely amazed at the history sent me. I was not fully aware of all of the family connections and was ecstatic to find pictures of 2 Manning connected Veterans who paid the ultimate price during WWII. I had no pictures at all of these men and have been looking for over 20 years.

I'll be working more with the Enenbach/Frahm family in the future to hopefully get more information and other pictures from various members of this family to add to the military write-ups.
For now here are a few of the amazing pictures I never knew existed until recently.

Phyllas (Enenbach) & Albert Buss near the 141 & Center Street intersection.
As you can see there are scratches and marks on this picture, which is unfortunately very common with all pictures to varying degrees. I will eventually digitally repair this damage when I find time, and for sure touch up all pictures used in the Veterans' book.
Manning Monitor article------ 1944

Lt. Albert Buss Killed In Action In France
Mrs. Albert J. Buss, former Miss Phyllas Enenbach, received word from the government Friday that her husband, First Lieutenant, Albert J. Buss, was killed in action in France on August 10th. No other details have been received.

Lt. Buss, whose parents, Mr. and Mrs Herman J. Buss, live in Boone, formerly owned the Central Food Market here in Manning. He sold the store in December, 1941 following Pearl Harbor and enlisted in the Army.

Lt. Buss spent about a year in the Alaskan Theatre of War before returning to the States in April of this year.
Lt. and Mrs. Buss made their home in Hattiesburg, Miss., and in Baltimore, Maryland during his short stay in the States. He had been across about 6 weeks when he was killed.
Lt. Buss was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Manning and the Elks Lodge at Carroll.

Citation of Award of Purple Heart Received by Mrs. Buss
Mrs. Phyllas E. Buss has received the citation of the Award of the Purple Heart to her husband, 1st Lieut. Albert J. Buss, for Military Merit and for wounds received in action which resulted in his death, Aug. 10, 1944, in the European Theater of War.
Mrs. Buss also received a resolution of sympathy signed by the President of the United States.

A memorial service for the late Lt. Albert J. Buss will be held Sunday, March 18, at 2 p. m. from the First Methodist church in Boone. Dr. Edwin A. Briggs will be in charge of the service and the American Legion will present the ritual.

First Lieutenant Albert J. Buss; son of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Buss of 209--12th street, Boone, was killed in action August 10, 1944, in France. He was in business for many years in Boone and before entering service was in the grocer business in manning for 18 months.
His wife, the former Miss Phyllas Enenbach of Manning, is making her home in Des Moines where she is employed.

Lt. Albert Buss Reburial At Boone
Funeral services for Lt. Albert Buss, 34, were held at the Wehn Funeral chapel in Boone on Wednesday afternoon, at 2:00. Lt. Buss of Boone, was killed Aug. 10, 1944, in France. He owned a grocery store in Manning prior to his entry into the infantry.

In April, 1944, he was married to Phyllas Enenbach of Manning, now Mrs. Vincent Curl of Richmond, Va.
He was a member of Manual Lodge, A.F.&A.M., Manning, and of the Elks Lodge in Carroll.

From the collection of Manual Lodge #450 of Manning

An amazing piece of history - an event only a year before Albert was KIA.

Margaret Perdita (Enenbach) & Raymond Bock - Albert Buss with his wife Phyllas (Enenbach)

Many of the men who died during the service of our country were married and some had children, before heading overseas.
All too often we forget the horrific pain the wives and family members of these Veterans had to endure. A few of the wives never married again, but most did remarry and had to forge forward and deal with life as best they could.
I believe this is another very important reason to honor our Veterans in the Manning Veterans' history book which also honors those wives, parents, grandparents, siblings, uncles, and cousins who lost so much.

After Albert's death, Phyllas met and married Vincent Curl. Here are some military pictures and service information.

Phyllas & Vincent Curl with their twins

Lt. Col. Vincent Curl Dies; OSS officer in Burma
The Washington Post June 6, 1980
By Richard Pearson
Washington Post Staff Writer

Retired Army Lt. Col. Vincent L. Curl, 74, a commando officer with the Office of Strategic Services in Burma during World War II, died of cancer Monday at Walter Reed Army Hospital.
Col. Curl was a member of the OSS's Detachment 101, which operated behind Japanese lines in Burma during the war. The detachment's assignment was to direct sabotage missions against enemy installations, pin-point bombing targets, and encourage Burmese to fight the Japanese.
As the commander of less than a dozen American officers and about 350 native Kachin tribesmen, Col. Curl gathered intelligence, ambushed Japanese patrols, and scouted for Allied air and ground forces for 23 months before being evacuated with injuries.
His decorations included the Silver Star Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Purple Heart. By the end of the war he was helping direct plans for an OSS-sponsored project to foment an uprising in Korea, thus preventing the Japanese from withdrawing troops from Korea to reinforce Japan itself.
Col. Curl was first sergeant of an infantry company in Hawaii when the war broke out. He was a native of Winchester, Virginia, who during a 17-year career as an enlisted man, had earned a reputation as an athlete and a soldier who could get things done.
When his company commander, Carl Eifler, was chosen to lead Detachment 101 to the Far East, he asked for Sgt. Curl. Before they left for Burma, as the two-man vanguard of the detachment, the sergeant was commissioned a lieutenant.
Things never seemed to go smoothly, even in its early days. The OSS had not yet officially come into existence, and Eifler and Lt. Curl were caught between the Army and the nearly moribund Office of the Coordinator of Information (soon to become the OSS). Part of their baggage consisted of 40 pounds of plastic explosives and the two officers could not get Army authorization to carry the explosives overseas. Yankee know-how prevailed.
Eifler, a reserve officer, had been a U.S. Customs officer before the war.
Eifler, now a retired psychologist in California, said in an interview that the two men, posing as an assistant military attache and his aide, smuggled the explosives (blasting caps were carried in their pockets) from New York, to Brazil, to Egypt, and finally to China.
Richard Dunlop, the author of "Behind Japanese Lines," credits the future Col. Curl with enlisting the Kachins as part of the detachment's team. The deadly combination became known as the American-Kachin Rangers.
According to the official history of the OSS, "casualties inflicted on the Japanese (during the Burmese campaign) by 101 were conservatively estimated at 4,350 killed. Fifty-three Japanese were captured. OSS casualties consisted of one American killed, 75 Kachins killed and 125 Kachins wounded; 101 troops also guided 228 Air Corps personnel to safety.
A total of 470 wounded American, British, and native troops were evacuated by the 101 light plane squadron."
By the end of the campaign in northern Burma, 101's strength consisted of 566 Americans and 9,200 natives, according to the history.
By the end of 1943, a new fighting band was taking the field against the Japanese in Burma. The 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional) under the command of Brig. Gen. Frank D. Merrill were to become known as Merrill's Marauders. Detachment 101 was their protective screen.
Dunlop writes that the Marauders finally met the 101 one day when they swung around a bend and "were confronted by a white man in a partly Australian, partly British, and partly American uniform."
"I'll be damned," the Marauder point-man said.
Col. Curl reportedly held out his hand and said, "Glad you got here, boys. We've been waiting 18 months for you to arrive."
Col. Curl remained in the Army after the war. He served as a recruiting officer in Baltimore for a time, then returned to combat in Korea during the conflict there. He retired from active duty in 1954 and made his home in Washington until moving to Fort Myers, Florida, two years ago.
He was a member of the 101 Association, the American Legion, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Survivors include his wife, Phyllas, of Fort Myers, two sons, Dr. Mark, of Deale, Maryland, and Vincent S., of Bowie; a sister, Monica Dawson of Falls Church, and one grandchild.

For this next Veteran all I had was this short newspaper article.
It mentioned he was reported missing in action over Germany, and I had not run into any other information - not until receiving this recent information from the Enenbach family did I find out he was KIA.

Mr. and Mrs. John Frahm received a message Tuesday from their daughter, Marian, who lives in Long Beach, California, that she had received notice from the government that her husband, Tommy Thompson, a bomber pilot, was reported missing in action over Germany. Lt. Thompson received his flight training at Hobbs, New Mexico, Lincoln, Nebraska, and Rapid City, South Dakota. They were married April 20 in New Mexico.

Tommy and Marian (Frahm) Thompson - possibly on the Frahm farm.

Marian & Tommy Thompson - Rapid City South Dakota, 1943

Marian & Tommy

For this next Veteran, I had a number of articles about his military service.
The pictures below give a better idea of his service.

Manning Monitor article------ 1943

Has Corporal Rating
Private William L. Enenbach who is located at the 58th Evacuation Hospital, Camp Carson, Colo., writes that he now has a T-5 or Corporal rating.
He wishes to thank the Legion and the Monitor for sending him the paper every week as it helps him keep up on the doings of the home folks and the town activities.

Meet In South Pacific
1 Sgt. William Enenbach, stationed in New Guinea (relatives believe), recently attended Mass and was surprised to see Father George Schumacher, priest here for several months, some years ago.
The two men were mighty glad to meet each other on the front and planned for another get-together.

Wm. Enenbach Transferred To Camp Carson
Word has been received from Pvt. Wm. L. Enenbach that he is now located at Camp Carson, Colo. He and 27 others in the medical division stationed at Camp Robinson, Arkansas were transferred to this new camp last week. Camp Carson is a new camp located near Colorado Springs, Colo.
He and his group were the first medics to arrive at the camp. The rest of the men who complete this unit of 300 come from Camp Barkley, Texas.
They are attached to the 58th Evacuation Hospital. He has been doing work in the personnel department since being there and likes it fine.

Meet in South Pacific
Wm. Enenbach and Donald Struve met on an Island in the South Pacific and are stationed one mile apart.

Manning Monitor article------ 1945

Wm. Enenbach Gets Commission
With the American Infantry Division in the Philippine Islands Technical Sergeant William L. Enenbach, son of Mrs. Anna Enenbach, Manning, has received a direct commission as second lieutenant with four other members of his veteran hospital unit, now operating on Cebu Island.

The Manning soldier, who boasts an Army career of more than four years, has served in the Pacific for 21 months. During this time his tour of duty included Milne Bay and Oro Bay in New Guinea, the Admiralty Islands, and Leyte and Cebu in the Philippines. At the time of his commission he was functioning as sergeant major of his unit's personnel section.
Arriving in Cebu shortly after its invasion by the American Division, Lt. Enenbach's hospital unit has been functioning 24 hours daily caring for both American and Filipino battle casualties.

William Enenbach

Bill, back row 2nd over

Bill (left) on Admiralty Island

58th Evacuation Hospital

Bill - far left - probably receiving an increase in rank.

This next Veteran served overseas during WWII - her obituary is below and shows the Enenbach connections.

Laverne (Frahm) Bjorndahl

Back of photo: note the Naval censor stamp

Laverne's writing on back

Laverne outside their ward


Laverne (Frahm) Bjorndahl, daughter of the late John Frahm, was born November 30, 1919, in Manning, Iowa, and passed away in a Garden Grove, California, Hospital March 21, 1981. Memorial services were held Wednesday, March 25, at 3 p.m. at St. Olaf Lutheran Church in Garden Grove with the Rev. Jerry Crawford officiating.

She was a graduate of Manning High School in 1938 and of St. Joseph's School of Nursing in Omaha, Nebraska. She served in the Nurses Corps of U.S.N.R., in World War II. She was Assistant Manager of Nursing Services of Golden Rain Foundation, Seal Beach, and Leisure World.

Immediate survivors are her husband, Joseph Bjorndahl, Garden Grove, California, sons Greg and Brad of Garden Grove; three sisters, Helen, Mrs. William Enenbach of Omaha, Nebraska, Marian, Mrs. Henry Vacjner of Villa Park, California, and Mary, Mrs. Don Swerczek of Omaha. Other relatives, friends & grateful patients mourn her passing.

I'm so glad that the Enenbach family is willing to work with me and send me their history to scan...history that is priceless - worth more than gold!

I'm always looking for Manning history and several years ago I ran across a Homemaker's club scrapbook in the Manning City Library.
In there were a lot of letters from WWII servicemen and here is one from Bill to the club.

Like always, I hope by featuring these great Americans, that more Manning Veterans and Manning connected people will contact me so I can work on their history and pictures too.
I hope everyone connected to Manning feels like I do that we need to honor the over 1000 men and women in a Manning Veterans' history book...especially for the 26 Manning men who died during the service of our country.

Back to Dave Kusel's main page