Walter and Genevieve Baker


Walter and Genevieve Baker purchased the Manning Food Market from Herb Groteluschen in :he fall of 1965. The store had had its origins in 1887 in the form of an old general store, and had been called the Manning Food Market since 1945.

Walt had managed food markets for over 25 years in Nebraska and the northern part of Iowa before coming to Manning. The Bakers were familiar with this area, as Walt grew up at Dunlap and Gen at Denison.

In 1973 they purchased the former Ohde Furniture Store building on Main Street, and expanded the business. Walt passed away suddenly March 3, 1977; their oldest son Ron, who at the time was managing a finance company in Chillicothe, Missouri, returned to manage the store. Ron and his brother Darrel both worked with their dad in the grocery business as they were growing up.

Ron is a graduate of Iowa State, in Forest Management. His wife is the former Marilyn Christensen of Denison, and an Iowa State graduate in Home Economics. She is employed with the WIC government program out of Carroll. They have two daughters, Therese, who is 12, and Nichole, who is five.

Darrel Baker is a Lt. Commander with the US Navy, as a dentist. He and his wife Jackie are both graduates of the University of Iowa. They have two sons, Nathan, five, and Matthew, 18 months. They are presently stationed in Winter Harbor, Maine, but soon will be moving to Oakland, California, where he will have a residency in oral surgery.

Gen has been secretary at the Manning Community School since moving to Manning in 1965, and still helps in the family grocery business.

Manning Creamery

Continued from page 267


Henry Bartels was born in Hanover, Germany, September 23, 1854. He came to this country in 1863 and settled at Luzerne, Iowa. He was married September 6, 1874 to Mina Ebrecht, who was born in Astermunzel, Germany December 8, 1856. She moved to Long Grove, Illinois, in 1876, and later to Luzerne, Iowa.

Mr. Bartels came to Carroll County in 1882 and settled near Arcadia, where he lived one year. He then moved with his family to a farm five miles north of Manning, where they resided for 30 years. They moved into Manning in 1913.

Mr. Bartels was a member of the German I.O.O.F. lodge of Manning for 22 years and was a longtime member of the A.O.U.W. lodge and Manning Schuetzen Verein.

The couple had nine children, with one daughter, Wilhelmina, dying in infancy. The others were George, Henry, Mrs. O.E. (Lena) Junger, Emma, Mrs. Fred (Alma) Maasen, Mrs. Ed (Gertrude) Stuhr, Grover, and Mrs. R.O. (Ester) Kelley.

Mrs. Bartels died January 12, 1914 and Mr. Bartels died June 29, 1914.



Chris and Emma Barten

Chris Barten was born November 8, 1873, in eastern Iowa. March 2, 1910, he married Emma Ross who was born December 15, 1883 in Audubon County. They farmed for eight years northwest of town and moved into Manning in 1918. In 1930 they moved to a farm on the east edge of Manning where they farmed until retiring in 1946.

They had three children: Ernest, Rome, New York married Mildred Borst in 1943. Ernest worked in the wholesale ice cream business. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard in World War II. Their daughter is Mrs. Karen Greim.

Clarence, Manning, married Maurine Andresen June, 1941. They farmed the Barten farm on East Street in Manning and worked at the Manning Creamery. Clarence also served as meteorologist in the Air Force in the U.S. and England during World War II. They have a son, Lonnie.

Eleanor, Des Moines, married Harold Kinney in 1935. She is a beautician. Their children are Harold Jr., Barten, Sue and Marlene.

Chris passed away in 1954 and Emma in 1966, with burial in Manning.


Oliver Callison Bingham, youngest son of Agnes and Samuel Bingham, Sr., was born in 1880 and raised in the Manning vicinity. He was married in 1903 to Alvina Christina Jans, daughter of Catherine and Gustav Jans.

The first years of their married life were spent on the Bingham home farm; later they bought a farm one mile southeast of Manning.

Oliver and Alvina were parents of seven children: Velma, Bernice, Maude, Clayton, Grace, Raeia, and Olive who died as a child.

In 1933 the Bingham family moved to Westside and in 1937 to National City, California. Within a few years, there were 68 descendants of Agnes and Samuel Bingham, Sr. residing in this area.

Alvina and Oliver celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary in 1953. Oliver passed away in May, 1958 and Alvina in December, 1969, leaving the following children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Velma (Mrs. John Nissen), has one daughter Mina (Mrs. H.L. Roberts), who has two daughters, Nancy and Linda Roberts.

Bernice (Mrs. J. Burke), has a son Rodney Val Burke. Both mother and son passed away at the age of 32.

Maude (Mrs. J.E. Halapin), has a son Jeffrey Bruce who is married to Marge Capavoni; they have a daughter Angela Maria Halapin.

Clayton married Kathleen Kane; they have two sons, Clayton Jr. and Lance Bingham.

Grace P. Bingham

Raeia Jean (Mrs. F.J. Grisko) has a son, Mark Grisko, and a daughter, Karla Susan (Mrs. P. Val Nicholson).

Chub's Place

Continued from page 268


Back: John, Samuel Jr., George Isaac, Belle Babcock; front: Maude, Samuel Sr., Margaret Smith, Dave Hulda Rogers, Oliver and Jane Agnes. Mary died before the picture was taken.

Samuel Bingham was born in 1832. His father, John, was English and his mother, Margaret Hawthorne, was of Scottish descent.

Samuel crossed the Atlantic to the United States after the death of his father in 1849. He first located in New York, where he learned the carpenter trade, and from there he moved to Fulton, Illinois.

He came to Iowa in 1876, purchasing 500 acres of Carroll County land. In 1881, the Western Town Lot Company bought 80 acres of land from Samuel, in anticipation of the creation of a new town. This plan was abandoned when the first railroad survey was rejected, and the town Manning - was located 3 1/2 miles northeast of the Bingham farm.

Samuel was the first man to bring Hereford cattle into Carroll County. He paid $5,000 for a bull and $225 for a cow, imported from England and bought from George McPherson, Menlo.

Samuel and his wife Jane Agnes Collison, Fulton, Illinois, were the parents of 11 children: George, Isaac, Samuel Jr., John, David, Oliver, Belle, Hulda, Maggie, Mary and Maude. They celebrated their Golden Wedding November 7, 1909, and rejoiced in the presence of 50 children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Oliver's daughter Velma (Mrs. John Nissen) is the only member of the family currently living in the Manning area.

Jay Bingham, son of Samuel, Jr., now lives in Clear Lake. He was a Manning resident until 1975, and was a rural mail carrier here for 38 years.


Fred (Fritz) Boock immigrated to the United States from Kiel, Germany in 1904. He married Margaret Peters (sister of Mrs. George Hinz) in 1912; she emigrated from Schleswig, Germany in 1906. They resided on a farm near Flandreau, South Dakota until 1918 when they moved to Manning. Fred Boock was a foreman for the Dultmeier Manufacturing Co. All three of the couple's children attended Manning grade school and graduated from Manning High School.

Their son Albert Boock attended Drake University in Des Moines for three years and married Margaret Machlan in 1941. They have lived in Omaha, Nebraska since that time where AI works for M.A.T. They have two daughters. Janet Boock Cable lives in Costa Mesa, California and has no children and Julie Boock Treinies lives in Ottumwa with her husband Gary and their four

Schatz Body Shop

Roy A. Struve Hampshires

Continued from page 269

daughters, Molly, Mona, Anna Margaret and Adrianne.

Albert Boock, Betty Flanagen, Herbert Boock

Their second son Herbert Boock married Edith McKee in 1941. He spent three years in the Army, and has lived in Des Moines since his discharge from the Army. He is employed with the U.S. Postal Service. They have two children. Their son Frank Boock and his wife Cynthia live in Cincinnati, Ohio, with their three children, Michael, Sherry Lynn and Brent. Their daughter Barbara Boock McCormack died in 1973 and left a son Darin and husband Joe McCormack, who now live in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

Their daughter Betty Boock married John Flanagan in 1940. They lived in Des Moines, Grandville and St. Clair Shores, Michigan and Memphis, Tennessee. They presently live in Macon, Georgia, where John is employed by Allied Chemical Co. They have three children. Their son David Flanagan and his wife Judy live in Wayland, Michigan with their three children, Scott, Susanne and Richard. Their daughter Nancy Flanagan Tlozynski is a teacher and lives in Grandville, Michigan with her two children, Cathy and Carol. Their daughter Mary Jane is attending graduate school at Michigan State University in Lansing, Michigan.

Even though Albert Boock, Herbert Boock and Betty (Boock) Flanagan do not presently live in Manning, they are frequent visitors of their relatives in and around Manning which includes their cousins, Florence (Mrs. Virgil) Genzen and Luella (Mrs. Max) Gruhn and their families.


Helena Kruse, born in 1858 in Stokendorf Propstee, Holstein, Germany, came to America at the age of seven with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kruse and two brothers, Henry and William. The trip took seven weeks on a freight sail boat. The family bought a farm in Hayes Township.

In 1878 Helena married Hans Moller, who was born in Detmarchen, Germany. They bought a farm in Carroll County, one mile east of the Kruse farm. They lived there 24 years and retired to Manning in 1917. They were the parents of five children; Herman, John, Amanda Lage, Anna (Katie) Sander, and Henrietta Peterson.

Emil Sander, born in Husom, Germany in 1881, came to live with his sister and her husband, Lena and Andrew Boss, at the age of 15. He worked as a farm hand until he married Katie Moller in 1903. They then started farming. When Katie's folks retired, they moved on the home place until they retired to live in Manning. They were the parents of six sons; Herman, William, Hugo, Louie, Max and Harry. Emil was well known in the community as he played the accordian for dances and social affairs. He was also active in Liederkranz.

Otto A. Borkowski was raised on a farm in Lincoln Township. He was the son of Henry and Alvina Borkowski, who migrated from Germany in 1872. Otto, his wife Lena Hass and daughter Esther came to live in Manning in 1914. He became a carpenter and cabinet maker, working for Hannas Hass. He helped build the Manning High School and Lutheran Church. He was alderman and sang in the church choir. Esther became a rural school teacher. She married Herman Sander in 1929. Herman worked as a bartender. In 1944 Herman, Esther and three children, Marlene, Darrel and Karen, moved to Omaha.

Duane's Barber Shop

Continued from page 270


Clarence and Mercedes Bowers, June 16, 1937

In the fall of 1932, Clarence (Peg) Bowers left his home in South Dakota to join his brother, who had come to the Manning area earlier. Peg arrived ready to work and soon found himself picking corn for 1 1/2c a bushel. He continued working at various farms and eventually worked his way from $7 a month to $35 a month in 1936. This was in the Depression years. During this time he met Mercedes Strosahl, who was also working in various homes in the area.

In 1937 they decided to pool their resources, and were married on June 16. The following year they moved to the Johnny Hockett farm. The farm had appeal for many reasons. The land was originally part of a tract of land sold to Iowa by The United States Government and signed by Abraham Lincoln, there was a basement barn, and the house was the oldest in the area. In fact, a generation earlier, it had been the only building west of Manning.

In 1954 they bought the farm and have since built a different home in 1962.

The Bowerses have two children, Dick and Kay. Dick works in Denver at Factory Outlet as a manager. He lives with his wife, Jan and two daughters, Julie and Niki on an acreage near Berthroud, Colorado. Kay lives in Council Bluffs and teaches English to foreign students (mostly Iranians) at the University of Nebraska in Omaha.


Henry and Mary Boysen and daughter Letha moved from Schleswig, Iowa to Manning in October, 1926. Henry had bought the controlling interest in the Manning Trust and Savings Bank.

Henry was born in Friesland, Germany and carne to Crawford County with his parents when he was five years old. Mary, the daughter of Peter and Augusta Nielsen, was born on a farm in Crawford County, west of Schleswig. After marriage, Henry and Mary lived in Schleswig and there their daughter Letha was born.

When Henry's health failed, he sold his interest in the bank and retired. He joined his wife in gardening and yard projects, which had been her special activities along with the art of flower arranging.

The daughter Letha married Clifford Johnson, son of Chris and Hannah Johnson, in 1934. They live in Manning. They have two daughters. Marie is married to Dr. E. Roger Hren, and lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico; their daughters are Kimberly, born in 1964, and Jennifer born in 1970. Julia married Dr. Albert Rothenberg and they live in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Their children are Michael, born in 1958, Mora, born in 1961, and Rina, born in 1965.

Henry Boysen died in August, 1959, at 80 years of age, and Mary died in May, 1966, also 80 years of age.


The Brunnier family was among the early settlers of Carroll County, having settled in the west central part long before Manning was in existence. Julius and his wife, Caroline Frickneicht, lived in the first dwelling house built in the incorporated town of Manning. (It stands, remodeled today, just south of Plastico.) They had five children: Julius Jr., Henry, Martin, Emil, and Agnes.

The Julius Jr. and Martin Brunnier families later built homes on either side of the first house. These brothers ran a general store in the building now occupied by J.C. Edgerton. The firm suffered heavily during the fire of 1891.

Martin's son, Henry J. Brunnier, gained considerable world prominence in later years as one of the consulting engineers for the fabulous San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and as president of Rotary International in 1952-53. Martin's daughter, Catherine, worked in Mueller's Millinery Shop.

Agnes died young and Henry, who married later in life, had no children.

Emil moved south to Mobile, Alabama.

Julius Jr., married Caroline Koepke, who came from Chicago, in 1878. They had ten children. Carrie was married to Wilson B. Swaney, who was with the light and telephone companies in Manning in the early years; they had five children. Dora was married to Albert Swaney and they had two children. Kate was married to C.A. Wiese and they had one daughter. Agnes married Phillip Zerwas and had six children. Julius and his wife, Dorothy, had one son Edward, who now lives in Hawaii. Bertha and Henry Hansen, her husband, had no children. Minnie and her husband, Bert Wilson, had no children. Grover (Bud) married Bertha Haubrich and they had two daughters. Matilda was married to Brook Mann, Merle Cooke, and later to Henry Kunsch. She had no children. Frances was married to William Ohde in 1907 and had one son, William F.

Continued from page 271


Back: Anna, LeRoy, Rosella; front: Hugo, Florence, Mrs. Brus

Hugo H. Brus (1878-1947) was born near Blue Grass in Scott County, fifth child of John and Anna Brus. His four brothers, Henry, John, Charley and Otto and three sisters, Lillian, Ella and Clara, were reared on a farm in Hayes Township, Crawford County. They married and reared their families in the Crawford-Carroll County vicinities.

Hugo's father lived from 1843 to 1911. When 21/2 years old John came to America aboard a sailing vessel from Prussia, Germany with his parents, Henry and Beatrix (Claus) Bruce. (The spelling was changed later in Scott County because of a great number of similar names.) After the 49 day voyage to New Orleans, the family came up the river by steamer to St. Louis and later to Davenport.

In 1870 John was married to Anna Grage, a native of Holstein, Germany. She was a daughter of Christ and Holdruf (Wiette) Grage. The couple came to Crawford Co. in 1884, after John farmed and worked in the hotel business in Davenport.

Hugo farmed with his father and brothers until 1909, when he and Margaret Ehrichs of Aspinwall were married. They purchased a farm in Ewoldt Township, Carroll County, in 1913. There they raised their family, LeRoy, Rosella (Mrs. Melvin McMahon, Des Moines, Iowa), Anna (Mrs. Harold Nielsen, Albuquerque, New Mexico), and Florence (Mrs. Ludwig Seidl, Dedham).

LeRoy, married to Lucille Campbell, Botna, has continued farming in Carroll and Shelby Counties. They and their three children, Dorothea (Mrs. Jerry Lee, Poulsbo, Washington), Ronald, rural Harlan, and Marilyn (Mrs. Dean Garnett, Harlan) have been active in 4-H, International Farm Youth Exchange Program, Farm Bureau, Co-op and Dairy Herd Improvement Association.

LeRoy has specialized in quality produce: certified seeds, fine quality pork, local hatching egg flocks, quality egg flocks for Iowa Extension Service and Grade A milk from his Guernsey and Holstein herds.

Ronald and Carol (Beck) Brus and family are presently carrying on the family farming tradition along with machinery mechanics.


Working for the W.B. Parrott Co. I worked there for 32 years, being paid 25 cents an hour; the year of the depression, our wages were 15 cents per hour. We broke eggs in the summer and picked chickens in the winter.

Some of the ladies I worked with were Minnie Juels, Eleanor Kempf, Ann Martens, Effie Whitcher, Mabel Arp, Marie Misselhorn, Alvina Dethlefs, Emma Wenzel and Ann Vinke.

---Lena Grimm, age 91

American Legion

Manning Oil Company

Continued from page 272

Carroll County Courthouse

Continued from page 273


Henry Buhmann was born in Delstedt Holstein, Germany on April 29, 1864. He came to America, directly to Manning, in 1887. His sister, Magdalene (Mrs. Hans Claussen), and family preceded him from Germany; a brother William came a little later.

In 1902 Henry married Laura Vinke, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Vinke. They had three children: DeEtta, Leora and Helen.

Henry worked on various farms for a few years and then acquired the Corner Saloon on Main Street. He operated that until there was a change in the Iowa law limiting the number of bars according to population. There were about 10 in Manning at that time. He then became associated with John Frahm and Carl Voss making one large bar, known as the Banquet Bar and known by many as the "Horse Shoe Bar", the largest west of the Mississippi. The bar operated until about 1917 when prohibition began.

Henry then acquired the Manning Grill and Coffee Shop on South Main Street. In 1920, he bought the Virginia Cafe on North Main Street and operated that for several years, until failing health forced him to retire. He passed away in 1931.

His two surviving daughters are Leora (Mrs. John Tansor) of Sun City, Arizona and Helen (Mrs. Walter Scholles) of South San Francisco, California.


John, Claus, Sara, Judith, Anne

Claus Bunz, son of Johannes and Augusta Bunz, was born and raised in Manning. He graduated from Iowa State University in Industrial Engineering in 1957 and from the University of Iowa law school in 1961. There he met Judith Ann Kreft from Lytton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kreft. Judith was working as a medical technologist in Iowa City. She previously attended Wartburg College at Waverly.

They were married in October, 1961, and resided in Denison. There, Claus practiced law with the firm of Powers and Reimer until 1964, when he joined Erwin Hansen's law firm in Manning. The firm is now known as Hansen, Bunz and Mugan.

Claus has served as president of the Chamber of Commerce, Manning Rotary Club, and served on the Board of Directors of the Manning Hospital and Plaza, along with many other civic activities.

Claus purchased and developed 40 acres of land in south Manning in 1965, which is now called the Bunz Addition.

Claus and his family are present members of Zion Lutheran Church in Manning.

Judith and Claus have three children, Sara, born in 1963, John, born in 1965, and Anne, born in 1968. The children attend Manning Community School in Manning.


Johannes and Augusta Bunz

Johannes Bunz arrived in America in 1929 from Heitigensladten, Germany.

Mr. Bunz was a master blacksmith. After spending a short time in Nebraska and Schleswig, Iowa, he opened a blacksmith shop in Manning.

From 1930 to 1933 his business occupied a frame shed that stood in the alley south of Priebe and Sons. His second location was a block north from there; he remained at that site until 1951, when he moved into a new building on Highway 141, presently Rasmussen Lumber.

His business began by shoeing horses and repairing equipment. Many times Mr. Bunz would walk several miles to farms to shoe the horses. After work horses became a forgotten item, the business expanded to lines of farm

Continued from page 274

machinery. New Idea was his first line; he later added Oliver and International Harvester.

Mr. Bunz was engaged to Augusta Kollen of Pellworm, Germany. Her arrival was delayed for four years because of the economic conditions in the U.S. during the Depression. Mr. Bunz had to have legal proof that he could support her; this took four years. Mrs. Bunz arrived in the U.S. in 1933.

Mr. and Mrs. Bunz had two children, Claus, Manning, and Elke Duarte of San Luis Obispo, California.

Mr. and Mrs. Bunz's surviving sisters and brothers live in Germany with the exception of Mr. Bunz's sister Mrs. Helen Ploog, who lives in Manning.

Johannes Bunz passed away in 1963. His wife, Augusta lives at 508 Sue Street.