Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Lage with two sons, Henry and Hans, left Schoenberg, Probstein in Holstein, Germany in 1885, crossing the waves of the Atlantic Ocean in a little sail boat for seven weeks. They located in Clinton County, Iowa, living in a sod house on a farm. In 1873 brothers Henry and Hans came to Crawford County, and purchased a 240 acre farm in Hayes Township Section 36. In 1876 the Lage brothers moved on their land and Henry bought another 90 acres across the road in Section 1, Iowa Township.

Hans Lage married Marie Myers. Four children were born to this union, Ida, Emma, Pauline and Gustav. Hans Lage passed away and Marie Myer Lage married August Eikmeir; they have a daughter Louise Eikmeir Hoelcher.

Emma Lage married Otto Adolph Brus on Feb. 22, 1905. Emma and Otto Brus purchased a 120 acre farm from Marie Lage Eikmeir in 1911. Emma and Otto Brus lived on this farm their entire married life. Four sons were born to this union, Arnold, Elmer, Vertus and Willis.

Arnold married Luella Kahl in 1939. They had three children, Wayne, Robert and Georgia, who were raised on the Lage-Brus homestead. Arnold purchased the homestead after his father, Otto Brus, passed away. Arnold and Luella still live on this homestead.


Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lage, John, Alfred and Herman

Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Lage, nee Margaretha Ewold, with two young sons, Henry and Hans, left Schoenberg Probstei, in Holstein, Germany, in 1855; they crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a sail boat that took them seven weeks. They located in Clinton County, and moved into a sod house on a farm where they lived for several years until money and circumstances permitted better housing. For 18 years Henry and Hans lived in Clinton County; they then decided to "go west" to Crawford County and purchased a 240 acre farm in Section 36 Hayes Twp.

In the year 1876 the Lage brothers moved onto their land.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Vinke were married in the east and came out west as other settlers. Mrs. Vinke took over household duties for their bachelor friends. Henry Lage bought 90 acres in Iowa Township across the road from the original land he had purchased.

Eline Juliane Paulsen was born November 10, 1859, at Langhorn, Schleswig, Germany where she grew to womanhood. In the spring of 1883 she came to America and traveled to Westside. On June 16, 1883, she and Henry Lage were married. This union was blessed with three sons: John, Alfred and Herman.

John, who was a civil engineer, married Addie Furman; their union was blessed with two daughters, Marian Jackson, Cincinnati, Ohio, and Ruth Schroeder, Manning. Addie Lage died in July, 1918, and John died on Sept. 21, 1920.

Alfred married Wilhelmina Ohde on Feb. 18, 1914. They farmed his entire life on the original farm his father bought, which is now occupied by their daughter, Frances, and husband Arthur Fielweber. Alfred's dream of electricity for all farms came true in 1936 and 1937 when South Crawford REA was organized. Alfred was active in the Rural Electrification program for the rest of his life.

Herman Lage married Laura Mohr on Feb. 12, 1919. Two sons were born to this union. Wesley Lage of Waverly, and Walter Lage of Manning. Herman was active with the Iowa Township School Board and the Crawford County Soil Conservation program.

Mrs. Henry Lage had one brother, P. K. Paulsen of Irwin, and a sister, Mrs. W. F. Zabel of Omaha, Nebraska.


In 1915 a Ford touring car was offered by F.D. Ross & Co., for $460.

A pound of coffee cost 19c.

Rail fare to Los Angeles was $52.68.

Before the days of built-in kitchens, you could purchase a kitchen cabinet for $17.85.

That same year plans were made to conduct a girls' camp from August 2 to 7 at the Great Western Park. Dr. Hanley of Atlantic and Dr. O.W. Wyatt of Manning would assist in the programs. Bonnie Robertson of Sioux City was hired to teach swimming. Applications should be addressed to Christine Johnson, Guardian, Camp Fire Girls, Manning, Iowa.

For a short time in 1894, Manning had a Keeley Institute, where "papa could get the cure". This home for alcoholics was located in the former hotel known as the Clifton House, on the west side of Main Street between Second and Third Streets.

Continued from page 354


Herman and Laura Lage and sons Wesley and Walter

Herman was the youngest son of Henry and Eline (Paulsen) Lage. Both were born in Germany and then came to America, where they were married in 1883. Herman grew up on the family farm in Crawford County, Iowa Twp., along with two brothers, John and Alfred. In 1918 Herman purchased a farm close to the home place. Then on February 12, 1919, he was married to Laura Mohr. She was the daughter of Gustav and Helena (Goettch) Mohr. They lived on the farm for 36 years before moving into Manning to a home they built at 414 May St.

Wesley, the oldest son, was born April 2, 1921, and was married to Audrey Moser May 19, 1956. They are the parents of three children, Scott, Lori, and Kent. Their home is in Waverly.

Walter was born July 3, 1926 on the farm. He was married to Ardith David February 26, 1950. They live on the family farm and have two sons. Lance, who is married to JoEllen Carlson, lives in Cumberland, where both are teachers. Brian lives at home and is superintendent of the ManningManilla Golf Course.

Laura Lage died November 28, 1968, and Herman continues to live in his home.


Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Lage

Jacob Lage, Jr., was born December 13, 1884, near Manning. His father, Claus Lage, and his mother, Louise Hass, were born in Germany.

He farmed near Manning for 20 years while he was active as a Rural Mail Carrier. He lived in this vicinity all his life, with the exception of three years spent in Plainview, Texas, where he was also with the mail service.

Jacob, known as Jake, worked for the U.S. Postal Service for 50 years, as rural and city carrier. He began his work in February, 1904, and retired January 1, 1955.

He served under six Manning Postmasters:

Captain John Beal, Gordon W. Laflar, Peter Rix, Gus E. Holmberg, Kathryn D. Eden and Paul J. Vollmer.

Jacob and his wife Emma Witt, whose parents Reimer Witt and Maria Schultz were both born in Germany, were the parents of four children, Mrs. L. W. Roose (Inza) of Lehigh; Glen J. Lage of Fort Dodge; Mrs. Freddie Ehlers (Hazel) of Manning, and Mrs. Merlin J. Schroeder (Ruth) of Denison. There are also seven grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.

Jacob and Emma celebrated their 70th Wedding Anniversary on October 13, 1973, and rejoiced in the presence of their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and many friends and relatives.

They resided in their home in Manning until June 3, 1974, at which time Emma passed away. Following her death, Jacob resided at the Plaza in Manning until his death on July 21, 1977.


The old switchboard at the Manning Telephone Company office was operated by lady employees and the service was wonderful. If you were unable to attend the high school basketball game you could turn the crank on the old wall telephone and "Central" would tell you who won and give you the score! Also all the patrons along the lines knew the designated number of longs and shorts for an emergency "line call" ring. For a fee you could go to the telephone office and have a line call put out to make an announcement for your sale, etc. You could also call in to find out where the fire was.

Continued from page 355


Gerhardt Lamp

When Joachim and Agnes Lamp moved to a farm southeast of Manning in March of 1901, prairie chickens exploded from the unbroken prairie and darkened the sun. Small bands of Indians sometimes traveled across the plains. For Gerhardt, the sixth of nine children, travel was by horseback or on horsedrawn wagons and buggies. He walked to school, but lived to see men walk on the moon.

Uprooted by World War I, Gerhardt saw action in the muddy rat-infested trenches at Argonne, Verdun and Metz. After the war, Pete, as he was now generally known, married Minnie Hansen and the couple farmed in the Manning area. The couple's son, C. O. Lamp, is an author-pharmacist-lawyer who resides in Glendale, Arizona and frequently writes for the Manning Monitor. Daughter Darlene and her son Michael still reside with Minnie on the farm just south of town.

At Manning's silver anniversary, Gerhardt Lamp won a prize with his dolled-up horse. For the town's diamond jubilee, Gabby, as he was now popularly known, appeared in the costumes of prospector, wagon master and Santa Claus, visiting nearby communities with his horses or burro to promote the celebration, distributing many wooden nickels. He won the contest for the best beard.

The teachings of the man endure. The family has an abiding love and respect for the land and the ability to enjoy a celebration -- such as the Manning Centennial!

Meryl Kerkhoff -- Auctioneer

Continued from page 356


Herman and Amanda Lamp

Herman was born on a farm in Iowa Township, Crawford County, on August 7, 1892, the son of Joachim and Agnes (Wiese) Lamp, who were both born in Germany. In 1901 he moved with his parents to a farm in Warren Township (now Ewoldt Township), five miles southeast of Manning. This was his home until he and his wife Amanda moved into their present home at 307 2nd Street. Herman later became owner of this farm.

Amanda's parents were Gustav and Mary (Carstensen) Koester, who were also natives of Germany.

Herman served in World War I, from May 1918 until June 1919, and upon his return from the service he resumed farming.

Throughout the years on the farm Herman was involved in community affairs. He served as Township School Director and Township School Treasurer for 32 years; agent and adjuster for Home Mutual Insurance Company for 22 years; township trustee for 38 years, which included the year's trustee work such as road care; chairman of Ewoldt Township Election Board for 38 years; war bond drive for Ewoldt Township; bank drive in 1933; member of Farm Fire Truck No. 1; continuous member of the Farm Bureau; charter member of American Legion Emil Ewoldt Post No. 22; in charge of the firing squad the first years the Legion was organized; and charter member of V.F.W. Post No. 3517.

Amanda is a member and past president of the Legion Auxiliary; charter member of the V.F.W. Auxiliary; on both the past and present Manning Hospital Auxiliaries; in the U.P.W. and Ruth Circle of the Presbyterian church; a charter member of the Friendly Neighbor Club; and worked many years with the Farm Bureau. Amanda worked many years with the ladies night school and became known as the "Craft Lady," doing many demonstrations and lessons on various crafts.


Back: Edward, Frank, Marvin, Vertus, Hubert, Herman
Front: Gerhardt, Joachim (Joe), Jessie, Agnes (Wiese), Charles

Joachim (Joe) Lamp was born November 13, 1857 (note: incorrectly printed as "1875" in the centennial book), in Stakendorf, Holstein, Germany. At the age of 17, in 1874, he and a number of friends, including Mr. and Mrs. Joachim Mundt, left for the United States; they landed in New York on March 19. They came directly to Tip Top (note it was incorrectly printed "Top Top" in the centennial book which is wrong), now called Arcadia, in Carroll County. Having no relatives here, he made his home with the Mundts and worked on various farms in the area.

On February 26, 1884, he was married to Agnes Wiese, daughter of Detlef and Margerta Wiese. She was born at Davenport on December 21, 1865, and came to Crawford County with her parents in 1873.

Joe and Agnes moved to a 90 acre farm three miles north of Aspinwall, which they had purchased for $26 an acre and later sold for $58 an acre.

On March 1, 1901, they moved to a 240 acre farm in Carroll County five miles southeast of Manning which was purchased for $50 an acre.

They were the parents of nine children, Marvin, who married Rosa Kuhl; Frank, who married Augusta Gruhn; Edward, who married Laura Fredrichsen; Vertus, who married Clara Jensen; Herman, who married Amanda Koester; Gerhardt, who married Minnie Hansen; Hubert, who married Amelia Westphalen; Jessie, married to Henry Voge; and Charles, all farmed in the Manning area.

Three grandchildren are active farmers in the area: Wilbur Lamp, son of Edward; Lucille Boell, daughter of Hubert; and Gerhardt Voge, son of Jessie Voge.


Back in 1939 the business places on Main street closed during the funeral of a business man. And in the early 20's, when a death occurred in a family, a wreath or bow made of black ribbon was placed on the front door of the home to signify that the family was in mourning.

Continued from page 357


Vertus and Clara Lamp

Vertus Lamp was born March 14, 1890, in Crawford County, to Joachim and Agnes Wiese Lamp. Vertus had seven brothers and one sister: Marvin, Frank, Ed, Herman, Gearhardt, Jessie (Voge), Hubert and Charles.

As a boy he moved with his family to Carroll County where the Lamp family farm was purchased southeast of Manning. On May 24, 1918, Vertus was married to Clara Jensen, daughter of William and Lillian Brus Jensen. They began their life together on a farm in Carroll County southeast of Manning. In 1929 they purchased the family farm in Audubon County.

They retired in their home in Manning in 1949. They had one daughter, Florence, married to Lester Karsten, son of Henry and Emma Karsten; they now have retired in the Lamp home in Manning. Vertus and Clara had two grandchildren, Joyce, who lives in Omaha, Nebraska, and Lyle, who lives with his wife Judy and son Adam in Cedar Rapids.

Vertus passed away on December 16, 1968, and Clara on November 20, 1976.


Amose and Ethel Lee and family, Virginia, Helen, Mary and Kathleen

Ethel Hickerson came to Manning to teach English for Superintendent Burton Jones in 1922. Amos Lee came to be principal of the high school i n 1923.

They met and were married in 1925, established their home, and became active in church, fraternal and social activities. Four daughters were born: Mary (1929), Virginia (1931), Kathleen (1933), and Helen (1942).

Amos was principal of Manning High School from 1923 to 1927, and was superintendent 1927 to 1942; he succeeded Burton Jones, who moved to Spencer.

Amos was active in the Methodist Church, Masonic Lodge, Order of the Eastern Star and American Legion. Ethel was a Worthy Matron of the Eastern Star, President of the Legion Auxiliary, worker in the Methodist Church, P.E.O. and womens' club.

The major activity for this family was the administration of the school system. It was in this responsibility that they found friendly association with the good people of Manning. They were very fond of the people and considered their 19 years to be the best era of their family life time.

October 1942, Amos was appointed superintendent of the West Des Moines School District, where Helen was born and reared, joining Mary, Virginia and Kathleen. The family lived and worked in West Des Moines until 1968, when Amos and Ethel retired; the four daughters graduated from Valley High School, married and are now busy raising their own respective families.

Moorman's Feeds -- Virgil Rowedder

Continued from page 358


John and Clara Lewis

Mr. Lewis was born April 24, 1867, on a farm near Delafield, Wisconsin. When he was 11 the family purchased a farm two miles south of Templeton. He was educated in schools at Dodgville, Wisconsin, in Carroll County, Western Normal College in Shenandoah and later graduated from Highland Park College in Des Moines in 1886, with a degree in pharmacy. The same year he entered in the drug business in Manning under the name of Stouffer and Lewis. In 1888 the firm was changed to Lewis and Grau, and in 1905 to LewisReinhold Co. He retired in 1945 after 58 years in active business.

In June, 1896, he married Clara Blakeslee at Manning. She was the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. A. W. Blakeslee, a dentist in Manning. They had two daughters, Ethel, who married Paul Proctor of Grinnell, and Velma, who married Vernon Myers of Carroll. Mrs. Lewis and both daughters taught in the Manning school.

Mr. Lewis was very active in civic affairs. He served on the school board for 18 years and helped organize the Chamber of Commerce. He worked very diligently on the highway committee that brought gravel and paved roads to the area. He belonged to Manual Lodge, serving as master three years; a member of Copestone Chapter Royal Arch Masons; Azgad Commandery in Carroll; and a member of the Methodist Church. Both Mr. and Mrs. Lewis served as Matron and Patron of Salona Chapter OES. Mrs. Lewis was a charter member of the Manning Woman's Club and Chapter P.E.O.

Mr. Lewis was 88 when he passed away and Mrs. Lewis was 81.


Jochim Heinrich Lohmeier and Weibke Christine Sengerling were married in 1860 in Germany after he served in the German Army. They came to America in 1869 to a lumber camp near Ludington, Michigan, bringing daughters Anna, Louisa, Emma and Johanna to a log cabin home. After Jochim lost fingers in a sawmill accident, the family bought a yoke of oxen and wagon with a cover; with three more children, Joe, John and Helena, they journeyed to Westside in 1874.

The following spring, they moved to a 40-acre farm with a sod house in Washington Township, Carroll County, seven miles north of Manning. Farming with a prairie-breaker plow pulled by oxen, Joe or John rode the neck of one ox to guide them. The slough grass was so high, a cow bell was hung on the neck of the milk cow to find her.

Five more children were born, Frederica, Peter, Clara and twins Jacob and Amelia, the twins not surviving the winter. Fuel was scarce; trees were cut near the Boyer River and hauled to the farm with a few willow twigs salvaged, or cow chips dried, and slough grass cut, twisted and tied, to be used for cooking. Coal was costly and seldom used.

In 1881 Jochim went to Chicago Medical School Hospital for stomach cancer surgery; his body was bequeathed to research.

The family worked in the fields. Later Joe and

Culligan Soft Water -- Rick Lohrmann

Continued from page 359

John continued farming in a life-time partnership.

In 1893, Mary Ann McElwaine and sister Jenefer arrived in America from County Cavan, Ireland, and worked in Manning's Park Hotel.

John W. Lohmeier and Mary Ann McElwaine were married in 1895 in Manning. Their six children were born on farms in the Manning area: Henry, Louisa Joens, John Jr., Ray, Alice Grau and Arlene Musfeldt. These three daughters live in Manning.

Joe and John bought a farm on the west edge of Manning in 1916. Later John cut down the abandoned Milwaukee railroad bed that cut through the farm, using a team of horses, breaker plow and a two-wheeled scraper. He hauled the ground, dumped it to both sides. The town built a straight road from west end of Third Street south, today named West Street. He traded his work and a strip of land for the road that curved through the farm place.

Amos, son of Henry and his wife Minnie Rostermundt, is the only fourth generation bearing the name Lohmeier living in Manning.


Among the pioneers who settled in the Manning locality, which is a part of the breadbasket of the United States, were Mr. and Mrs. Fred Lohrmann. They witnessed the transition of unfenced prairie land to the present modern farm, and saw oxen being used in farm work.

Mrs. Lohrmann was born in Bryant, Clinton County, and came to Manning with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Joachimsen, at the age of two. She has been residing at the Eventide Rest Home in Denison and celebrated her 101st birthday August 16, 1979. Mr. Lohrmann was born in Lunden, Germany, and came here at the age of six. He passed away in 1965 at the age of 89.

Both attended rural schools and recalled having problems communicating, since they were able to speak German. After school both worked out for other people. They were married in 1900, and he still worked out a number of years for a dollar a day. They finally were able to rent a farm three and one-half miles north of Manning near the Three Mile House, a popular countryside site for dances and other family entertainment. They also attended similar activities at the Five Mile House and in Aspinwall, such as King Shoots and Children's Day dances. When Santa Claus came to Manning, that was a must if the weather permitted.

With a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice, they were able to buy a farm eight miles northwest of Manning where they lived for 35 years. They celebrated their silver anniversary there. In 1944 they retired to Westside; they celebrated their 50th anniversary at their home, their 60th at the American Legion Rooms, and their 65th with a family get-together at home.

Mr. Lohrmann was the night watchman there for 11 years and remembered the good old days when there were no robberies, no break-ins, and no violence. Their explanation for attaining an advanced age was to be happy when working, and to obtain peace of mind.

The Lohrmanns had five children: Elva Massman, Westside; Ada Frahm, deceased; Lora Sander, Yieba, California; Aria Dammann; and Frenz Lohrmann, Manning. The farm remained in the family for 77 years. His son lived there for 30 years.


Frank H. Long was born in Indiana in 1858. He continued to reside in Indiana until he was 17, at which time he came to Iowa. His winters were devoted to school teaching while in the summer he did farm work. He supplemented his early education by pursuing courses in the schools in Spencer and Eldora, and in the normal schools in State Center and Marshalltown. After his marriage he gave up teaching and devoted his entire attention to farming. He purchased 90 acres of land in Warren Township, one-half mile north of Manning, and became one of the earliest pioneers homesteading in this area. He became one of the prosperous agriculturists of Warren Township.

He married Rossie Arney and to this union was born six children: Tura, wife of Wm. Schelldorff, a druggist in Manning; Olive, wife of a Rev. H. C. Hurd; Dale, the wife of Robert Halford, a farmer and stockman; Orma, wife of a Mr. Weber; Nola, who married Alfred Boss; and Corda, who never married.

Mr. Long died in 1909 at the age of 51. He was a member of the Christian Church and affiliated with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Highland Nobels of Manning. He took an active part in township affairs. He was a progressive man, intelligent and well-informed with high ideals of civic duties.

Mrs. Long, a woman who possessed unusual business ability, took over the management of the farm after her husband's death. She cultivated the land, and made a specialty of raising registered Poland China hogs. After some years she retired and moved to the town of Manning. She died in 1944.


Food rationing of all commercially canned, bottled, and frozen fruits and vegetables, including juices, all soups and dried fruits, was inaugurated March 1, 1943. The entire population registered for war ration books containing coupons with a certain number of points for each of 200 different kinds of foods. Coupon books were also issued for tires, gasoline, fuel oil, coffee, sugar, shoes, etc.

Continued from page 360


Jack Lorenzen Family, 1979
Back: Nancy, Dean, Dan, Jan; middle: Boni, Jeffry, Kelli Jo, Andrea, Amy Jo, and Jason

Recent newcomers to the Manning community are Mr. and Mrs. Jack Lorenzen and family. They farmed in Crawford County before moving in January 1962, to the John J. Struve farm, 1 1/2 miles east of Manning. The farm, which was in the Struve family for many years, was purchased from Merlin Struve in November, 1972.

Jack, son of John and Milda Lorenzen, was born in Shelby County in 1928. He was married to Wava Lacy at Manning in March, 1952. She is the daughter of Clarence and Pearl Lacy of Audubon.

Jack and Wava are the parents of two sons and one daughter. Dean, born in 1953, is married to Nancy Cadwell of Manilla and they have three children, Jason, Jeffry and Kelli. Dan was born in 1954, and is married to Jan Karsten. They are the parents of Amy and Andrea. Both sons are graduates of the Manning school and are engaged in farming in the Manning area. Boni Jean, their eight year old daughter, is a student in the Manning Community School.

Jack is a veteran of the Korean War and a life member of the V.F.W. Post 3517. He served on the Manning Community School Board from 1967-1976, being a member at the time the new high school was built. The Lorenzen family are all active members of the United Methodist Church.



Mrs. Dora Grimm of Manning had five sons in the service in World War II. They were: Willis, in the regular army; George, in the Marines; Paul, in the Commandos; Claussie, in the Infantry; Melvin, in the Signal Corps. Sisters are Leona (Mrs. Herb Schroeder), Dorothy (Mrs. Ray Mohr), and Delores (Mrs. John Balukoff). Claussie, Melvin, and Leona are deceased.

Manning Bootery - The Emmett Mullens