Manning...Where the Pioneer Spirit is thriving and our Heritage is preserved.
Some interesting sites to see in Manning, Iowa
History, Recreation, Meals
Manning, Iowa on Highway 141 in Carroll County, incorporated in 1881
Population 1450 -- approximately 2 miles wide and 2 miles long
Like most small towns, Manning was built on culture and history.
The English originally settled the area but in the 1880s immigrants from Germany
started moving in. They were people of many trades and most had agricultural
backgrounds. Farming was the backbone of the community which continues to this day.
Aerial photos by
Main Street - the life-blood of a community
Brick paved Main Street - since 1915
The German Village Mall on Main Street.
Manning Heritage Park - Location of
Willow Creek Park - where camper parking and limited hookups are available.
Historic Trinity Lutheran Church - available for weddings, funerals, and other church
events for all denominations.
The BIG MOVE! June 6, 2006
Leet/Hassler farmplace - with fully restored home and farm buildings.
German Bauernhaus (Hausbarn) - close-up below.
Contact information: Phone - (712) 655-3131 or E-mail -
Authentic German Hausbarn originally built in 1660 in Germany, now re-constructed in
Manning. The Hausbarn is on the east edge of Manning, south of highway 141 one quarter
(for more information click
The Manning Library on Main Street.
There is a pictorial history of Manning on display that was created by Orval Fink &
Arthur Rix of Manning. Approximately 130 panels loaded with all kinds of scenes from
Horizon Equipment (originally Puck Implement Company) along Highway 141. There are 4 large agricultural Mosaics
facing the highway. (for more information click here)
The Manning Parks and Recreation Center, complete with full size gymnasium,
racquetball court, exercise room (weights, treadmill, exercise bikes) and a 6 lane indoor
Main Street in 1910 --- Alfredo Romo of Texas painted this early
history scene on the south wall of the Duckwalls business on Main Street (summer of 2002).
Forgotten Corner Museum (1305 East Street) --- about 1 mile south of
141 past the Manning School.
This full-size antique tractor weather vane is one of many interesting things
that can be seen at the Merlyn & Bev (Dalgety) Irlbeck farm place.
They put on an annual Christmas display and also have a barn and newly added machine
building with old antiques of all kinds.
Manning's first town school was built in 1883 and throughout the years 3 other school buildings were built.
In 1974 all of the grades were located in this school building (Bulldogs - school mascot) on the southeast edge of town.
In 2011 the districts of IKM (Irwin, Kirkman, Manilla) and Manning were merged to become the IKM-Manning Wolves.
Manning Regional Healthcare Center dedicated in 2014
Manning's first hospital was built in 1927 and known as the Wyatt Memorial Hospital.
It was torn down and replaced by the new hospital now located on the Southwest edge of Manning.
Manning Fire & Rescue built in 2015
Charter members of the Schuetzen Verein who donated their old hall
to the firemen.
World Champion running team in 1913
More sites to see and where to eat